Facebook And Divorce
Facebook is becoming a primary source of evidence used in divorce proceedings in Colorado and throughout the United States. With so much at stake during a divorce or separation, it is important to use discretion when posting photos, status updates and other information to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, MySpace, Tumblr, personal blogs and other social media websites that may be open to the public.
At The Law Offices of W. Robert Montgomery, our family law attorneys have witnessed the widespread issues that can result from using Facebook or other social media platforms prior to and during divorce in Colorado. We offer the following recommendations and guidance for our current and potential clients:
- Know how your Facebook privacy settings work, and make sure your account is not open to the public. Also, make sure that you are not “friends” with your spouse, your spouse’s friends or anyone else who might be motivated to use information on Facebook against you.
- Do not communicate with your spouse or anyone else about any aspect of your divorce, including child custody matters, via Facebook or social media
- Do not post information on Facebook that could indicate you are involved in an extramarital affair.
- Do not post photos or status updates of yourself drinking alcohol or engaging in any activities that could be illegal. This information could easily be used against you when establishing a child custody arrangement.
- Carefully review any photos or information about you that your friends post on their own pages. Ask friends to remove any old photos or posts that could be used against you.
If you are going through a divorce, we understand this is probably a stressful and frustrating time for you. If you are a regular Facebook user, you may be accustomed to using it as an outlet for your emotions. But, before you post, please keep all of the points above in mind. It might be best to simply walk away from the computer, call a close friend or find another way to express yourself.
Divorce Lawyers Serving The Denver Metro from Lakewood, Colorado
The best way to make sure your rights and your privacy are protected during divorce is to speak with one of our knowledgeable divorce lawyers. At The Law Offices of W. Robert Montgomery, we are here to guide you through the process and provide you with solid recommendations aimed at an efficient and favorable outcome. We have many years of experience, and we understand what you are going through.
To arrange a free initial consultation call 720-496-1338 or use the online contact form on the side of this page. Our law firm is located in Lakewood, Colorado, and serves clients throughout the greater Denver area.