We can complete the entire bankruptcy process remotely, including all court-required appointments.
Get Your Life Back On Track
Get Your Life Back On Track
Get Your Life Back On Track
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Child Custody And Visitation
  6.  » Non-Parent And Stepparent Custody

Non-Parent And Stepparent Custody

At The Law Offices of W. Robert Montgomery in Lakewood, Colorado, we assist third parties, including stepparents and grandparents, who wish to obtain child custody, guardianship or visitation rights, also called parenting time. There are a variety of reasons why you might be seeking to establish these rights. Perhaps you have a strong relationship with the child and, following the divorce of the child’s parents, you are no longer able to spend as much time with the child as you would like. Or, as a stepparent, perhaps you are the primary caregiver for a child whose other parent is absent, so you wish to have official custody or guardianship of the child.

Whatever the case, if you are a non-biological parent interested in establishing custody, guardianship or visitation, contact our law firm for assistance. We offer decades of experience handling a broad range of family law cases, including many child custody and visitation issues.

Denver Metro Attorneys
Non-Parent Visitation, Guardianship and Custody

It is important to understand the difference between custody and guardianship. When you have custody of a child, you have parental rights, which means you have full decision-making responsibilities for the child. You can choose where the child will go to school, make choices about child care, decide who can spend time with the child and any other decisions related to the child. Guardianship provides no legal rights to the child other than the following:

  • Right to obtain medical care for the child
  • Right to enroll the child in school
  • Right to obtain public benefits for the child

Legal matters involving children can be highly emotional. Our lawyers understand this, and we offer compassionate and caring support, in addition to our experience and in-depth legal knowledge.

To discuss non-parent or stepparent child custody with a Lakewood attorney, call 720-496-1338 or contact our law firm online. The Law Offices of W. Robert Montgomery offers free initial consultations and serves clients throughout the Denver metro area.